Madison retains SEK lead
PARSONS — Fort Scott’s Lauren Madison retained her lead in the Southeast Kansas League girls’ golf race by one stroke as she finished second here Monday in the second of the three SEK designated tournaments.
After winning the Fort Scott Tournament on Sept. 5 with a score of 43, Madison duplicated that score on the KATY course. Pittsburg’s Jamie VanWyck was the tournament winner with her score of 40.
Madison leads the SEK after with a total score of 86, one better than Pittsburg’s Sam Maceli. Maceli and Chanute’s Jerlyn Kustanborter tied with Madison at Fort Scott but the Tiger sophomore won the tournament on a tie-breaker. Kustanborter finished ninth on Monday with a 49 and is third in the league with a score of 92.
VanWyck shot 56 at Fort Scott, so her 40 here only moved her up into sixth place.
Marissa Allen was the only other Tiger participant. She shot 53 to finish tied for 18th.
Uniontown was also here with Laryn Thompson missing out on a medal by one stroke as she finished in a six-way tie for 11th at 51. Aubry O’Neal tied for 28th at 56 and Libby Franks tied for 40th with a 61.
“I thought our girls did a great job competing today,” Uniontown head coach Jason Tourtillott said. “They made a lot of good shots and decisions around the golf course. Laryn shot a 51 which is a personal best and Aubry O’Neal 56 which was also a personal best.
“It’s good to see them starting to settle down and find their swing. Libby is working hard for us as well and so close to breaking into the 50’s.”
Pittsburg maintained its lead in the SEK team race after shooting 178 to win at Parsons. Chanute was second at 202. Girard, a non-league school, took third at 210.
Pittsburg is 39 strokes ahead of Chanute in the team race, having shot 371 so far. The Blue Comets have a total of 410 followed by Independence at 455 and Labette County at 532. Fort Scott is not eligible for the team title as it has been unable to field a complete team.
The Tigers will be in Joplin for the Galena Invitational on Thursday. Uniontown plays today in Eureka.
1. Pittsburg (PT) 178 (VanWyck 40, Maceli 44, Beykirch 45, Thompson 49), 2. Chanute (CH) 202 (Barkman 48, Kustanborter 49, Gutierrez 50, Trobridge 55), 3. Girard 210 (Brumback 52, S. Smith 53, M. Smith 54, McDonald 55),
4. Caney Valley (CV) 221 (Culver 48, Gilliland 56, Nunnely 57, Waltrip 60), 5. Frontenac 223 (Threlfall 53, Green 54, Snow 57, Hensley 59), 6. Independence 229 (Werner 51, Lane 51, Clapp 61, Pasternak 66),
7. Labette County 237 (Hernandez 55, Meier 59, Eisenbrandt 61, Regis 62), 8. Baxter Springs 250 (Newton 59, Warstler 59, Turner 61, Brown 71)
Incomplete teams: Columbus, Fort Scott (FS), Fredonia (FR), Parsons, Uniontown.
1. Jamie VanWyck, PT, 40; 2. Lauren Madison, FS, 43; 3. Samantha Maceli, PT, 44; 4. Samantha Beykirch, PT, 45; 5. Reese Hutton, FR, 48;
6. Zoe Barkman, CH, 48; 7. Lane Culver, CV, 48; 8. Mary Thompson, PT, 49; 9. Jerlyn Kustanborter, CH, 49; 10. Lia Gutierrez, CH, 50.