Primary election filings are open
Nomination papers for the Aug. 5 Primary Election are now being accepted at the Bourbon County Clerk's Office, located on the second floor of the courthouse, 210 S. National Ave.
Bourbon County Clerk Kendell Mason said filing activity is slow right now.
"But that's pretty common for this time," she said.
The deadline for filing is noon Tuesday, June 2.
Two local candidates have filed for election, Republican Lynne Oharah for the County Commission District 1 seat currently held by Republican Allen Warren, who, as of Friday, has not filed for re-election.
LeRoy Nelson has filed as a Democratic precinct committeeman.
One candidate for the following positions will be nominated by each political party during the Primary Election:
* U.S. Senator, a six-year term, currently held by Republican Pat Roberts.
* U.S. Representative District 2, a two-year term, currently held by Republican Lynn Jenkins.
* A pair of candidates for governor and lieutenant governor, four-year term, currently held by republicans Sam Brownback and Jeff Colyer.
* Secretary of state, a four-year term, currently held by Republican Kris Kobach.
* Attorney general, four-year term, currently held by Republican Derek Schmidt.
* State treasurer, four-year term, currently held by Republican Ron Estes.
* Commissioner of insurance, four-year term, currently held by Republican Sandy Praeger.
* State representative District 2, two-year term, currently held by Democrat Bob Grant.
* State representative District 4, two-year term, currently held by Republican Marty Read.
* State board of education District 9, four-year term, currently held by Republican Jana Shaver.
* The remaining unexpired term of county sheriff, currently held by Republican Bill Martin. The person elected will remain in office until January 2017.
* County commissioner District 1, a four-year term, currently held by Republican Allen Warren.
* Township clerks in Drywood, Franklin, Freedom, Marion, Marmaton, Millcreek, Osage, Pawnee, Scott, timberhill and Walnut.
* One committeeman and one committeewoman in each precinct.
Those wishing to run as a county office, trustee clerk or precinct committee candidate can file at the clerk's office from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.