Health officer reports recent COVID-19 cases
Bourbon County has a total of 37 confirmed positive COVID-19 cases since testing began, Bourbon County Public Health Officer Rebecca Johnson said Tuesday.
The county has 22 current positive cases, one presumptive case, 14 current recovered cases, and one death, according to a weekly update released Monday by the health department.
Johnson said Tuesday one new positive case was reported Monday. The individual is in isolation and has been in quarantine prior to testing positive. This case is a contact of previously listed positive cases. The individual’s family is in quarantine. The case investigation is complete.
On July 4, Allen County and Bourbon County each reported one positive COVID-19 case. The individual in Allen County is symptomatic and in isolation. The family is in quarantine. The Allen County Public Health Department is diligently working to notify all close contacts and complete the investigation, Johnson said July 4.
The individual in Bourbon County is also symptomatic and in isolation. The family is in quarantine. The investigation is complete, Johnson said.
There were a total of seven new positive COVID-19 cases reported in Bourbon County July 3. With five of the cases, some are contacts of previous cases and some are not. The Bourbon County Public Health Department is diligently working to complete the investigations, Johnson said.
With the two other positive cases, one individual is symptomatic and the other individual is not. One individual is a contact of a previously listed case and the other individual is not. The investigations are complete, Johnson said.
Johnson said people are urged to stay home when sick, continue social distancing, practice good hygiene and wear a mask in public.
Johnson also said “it is the strong recommendation by the health officer that the public follow Gov. Laura Kelly’s recent executive order 20-52 mandating masks in public spaces. Johnson also said the health officer representing the four counties “strongly suggests” following the governor’s and KDHE’s recommendation that Kansas remain in Phase 3 of the Ad Astra plan.
Kelly’s order requires most Kansans to wear masks while in public spaces, and in places where individuals are unable to maintain social distancing of six feet. The order took effect at 12:01 a.m. July 3 and will remain in place until rescinded or until the current statewide State of Disaster Emergency expires — whichever is earlier.
Under the order, Kansans are required to wear masks when inside any public space — including their workplace — or in situations where social distancing of six feet cannot be maintained. Guidance regarding specific places or situations in which masks are required is outlined within the order.
Kansans under five years of age, those with medical conditions and others specifically outlined in the order are exempt from these requirements.