Recent increase in COVID-19 in Bourbon County
Between Tuesday evening and Wednesday, Bourbon County has had four more positive COVID-19 cases, according to a release issued Wednesday by the SEK Multi-County Health Departments.
All four individuals are symptomatic, are isolated at home at this time and their families are in quarantine. These cases may have been related to large gatherings and most are related to travel outside of county. Bourbon County has had nine new cases since Monday, June 22.
“I, as the Bourbon County Local Health Officer, from this day forward will be issuing written orders for isolation and quarantine of those individuals who have either tested positive for COVID-19 or are a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case, whereas they had previously been verbally requested to isolate or quarantine,” Bourbon County Health Officer Rebecca Johnson said in the release. “These individuals who are issued an order will need to either isolate or quarantine in their home, or another suitable location. The reason for this stricter practice is due to the recent spread of COVID-19 in Bourbon County and having a number of uncooperative individuals who have refused to remain in isolation/quarantine, though have been given instruction to do so.”
The release said Johnson’s action will also be officially implemented and shall be in official force and effect at 8 p.m. June 24, 2020. This order shall remain in effect until July 8, 2020, unless modified or rescinded by the Local Health Officer. This order is made pursuant to the powers granted the Local Health Officer in KSA 65-119. The Bourbon County Health Officer is now restricting gathering sizes to no more than 45 in number, with staff members/employees included in that count and with social distancing being exercised. This order will be reviewed on July 7.