Police pursue suspect on lengthy chase through, around Fort Scott

Thursday, November 14, 2013

For at least the second time in a month, Wednesday afternoon, local law enforcement authorities were led on a high-speed chase throughout parts of Bourbon County.

According to police scanner reports of the chase, authorities pursued a red Jeep from within the city limits of Fort Scott, through parts of Bourbon County south of Fort Scott, and later through portions of the county north of town.

Fort Scott Police Department Chief Travis Shelton said late Wednesday afternoon that multiple agencies were involved in the pursuit. He said at that time he had not yet had time to see a full report of the chase and talk to his officers who were involved, and that it would likely be today before full details on the incident could be provided and he could issue a statement.

The chase began about 3 p.m. and activity concerning the pursuit was still being reported as late as 4:30 p.m., according to police scanner reports.

The chase reportedly originated in the Walmart parking lot where the Jeep sideswiped another vehicle and then fled police officers. The chase eventually made its way onto Indian Road, west to 215th Street and south to Grand Road, west to 210th Street, south to Fern Road and then south on Kansas Highway 7 where officers discontinued the chase and began looking for some items that the suspect reportedly dumped out of the vehicle on Indian Road.

The chase reportedly picked back up in the city limits and officers pursued the suspect on Margrave Street to Sixth and Andrick streets. After officers lost sight of the vehicle on First Street, the chase resumed on 255th Street to Maple Road just north of town and continued north to Poplar Road. The last scanner reports of the chase indicated the pursuit had moved to 255th Street and Soldier Road, where officers last sighted the suspect.

Speeds in the chase reached up to 60 to 75 mph, according to police scanner reports.

It was also reported that the driver of the Jeep had been positively identified but the name of the suspect was not available as of press time.

FSPD officers and Bourbon County Sheriff's deputies pursued a maroon Jeep Grand Cherokee through portions of town and the county during an Oct. 17 chase that at points reached 100 mph. FSPD officers discontinued their pursuit of the suspect, then Bourbon County Sheriff's deputies joined in that chase, which also took officers north of Fort Scott on U.S. Highway 69 to Poplar Road. Sheriff's deputies discontinued their pursuit of that suspect at about Poplar and 235th Street.

Authorities have not released the name of the suspect and driver in that incident, who was reportedly positively identified. It could not be confirmed as of press time if that suspect has been apprehended.