[Masthead] Fair ~ 69°F  
High: 85°F ~ Low: 64°F
Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2014

Third-quarter rally aids Tiger boys

Saturday, January 5, 2013

INDEPENDENCE -- Fort Scott High's boys trailed by 8 points early in the first half here Friday night but rallied for a 49-43 victory over Independence in Southeast Kansas League play.

The Tigers (2-2 SEK, 2-5 overall) have won two straight after starting the season with five consecutive losses.

Fort Scott looked like it had finally shaken its first-quarter doldrums that had plagued the team for most of its pre-holiday games. Although Independence, which came into this contest as the SEK leader, jumped out to a 9-4 lead, the Tigers rallied to get within 15-13 at the first break when Kaleb DeLaTorre hit a 3-point shot.

Moments into the second quarter, Alex Fink tied the score with a layup. But Independence (3-2, 6-2) went on a 9-0 run to go up by 9 before Chris Davenport ended the half for the Tigers by converting a 3-point play.

Gavin Webster scored the first basket of the second half to boost Independence's lead to 26-18. But Garin Sinn scored the first 4 Tiger points in a 10-0 run that put saw Mason Knopp's only basket of the night give Fort Scott a 28-26 lead with around 3 1/2 minutes left in the third period.

The Bulldogs broke a 30-30 tie after three with a free throw and an Alex Steinle basket. But Jash Pytlowany tied the score at 33-33 moments later.

Steinle, who scored a game-high 20 points, added 2 free throws for Indy to give it the lead again. Fink tied it again with a pair of charity tossed and 2 more by Johnathan Stark gave Fort Scott a 37-35 lead with 3:50 to go.

Independence scored the next three with a Steinle basket making it 38-37. Pytlowany struck from 3-point range again with 2:35 to go to give the Tigers the lead for good.

Fort Scott extended the lead to 45-38 with less than a minute remaining at the free-throw line. The Tigers made 9 of 12 free shots in the final 1:24.

Though Stark made just one field goal, he led the Tigers with 11 points by going 9 of 12 at the charity stripe. Pytlowany followed up with 9 points on three 3-pointers. Fink finished with 8 points.

Fort Scott shot only 33 percent from the floor, making 13 of 39 field-goal attempts but went 18 of 25 from the free-throw line. Indy was 17 of 40 from the field for 43 percent but made only 7 of 15 free throws and was outrebounded 34-22.

The Tigers will face Chanute Tuesday night in just their second home game of the season in SEK action.

FORT SCOTT: DeLaTorre 2 0-0 6, Sather 0 0-0 0, Brown 0 0-0 0, Pytlowany 3 0-0 9, Fink 2 4-6 8, Stark 1 9-12 11, Sinn 3 1-2 7, Knopp 1 0-0 2, Davenport 1 4-5 6, Olin 0 0-0 0. TOTALS: 13-39 18-25 49.

INDEPENDENCE: Turner 2 0-1 4, Thornton 3 1-3 8, Webster 2 1-2 5, Hoffmeister 2 1-2 6, Steinle 8 4-5 20, Johnson 0 0-2 0. TOTALS: 17-40 7-15 43.

Fort Scott...... 13 5 12 19 -- 49

Independence.... 15 9 6 13 -- 43

Three-point field goals: Fort Scott 5-19 (Pytlowany 3, DeLaTorre 2), Independence 2-8 (Thornton, Hoffmeister).

Total fouls: Fort Scott 16, Independence 22. Fouled out: Webster, Steinle.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.


Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.