100 YEARS AGO
The engineers who have been here making the surveys for the new freight depot which the Missouri Pacific will build on Wall Street have completed their work and after it has been inspected the work will be started at once. The building will not be an eyesore. It will be one of the best buildings of its kind in the state. Three tracks will be built from the main line near the brick plant to the depot, so this will give plenty of room for switching and will be large enough to hold cars. "Much of the material is already here," said Trainmaster Nedro, "And I expect to see the building occupied in a few weeks."
The veterinarians report that they are having much more trouble this year than usual as a result of horses being poisoned by eating corn stalks. Although the proportion of deaths has been small, it has taken very prompt treatment to prevent death in many cases. The veterinarians say that the corn stalks are unusually dry and are thus more wormy.
75 YEARS AGO
The Star Oil Co., composed of a group of local men and farmers living in the southwest part of the county, who are optimistic about oil production in Bourbon County, are seeking ways to advance the drilling of a deeper hole on the Albert Neth farm, 11 miles southwest of the city, to ascertain what production exists at what is known as the second break in the Mississippi limestone. For some months, the company has been drilling on the Neth farm and recently struck a producing well at a depth of 374 feet. The flow is above the average of shallow wells in this vicinity but the members of the company feel that a much larger flow of oil can be obtained at a greater depth. The drill is now down 470 feet and their ambition is to drill 250 to 275 feet further.
50 YEARS AGO
Photo caption: "Griff Hughes, president of the Fort Scott Chamber of Commerce, holds final briefing with Mayor William O. Raridin and City Attorney Glenn Louderback before the Municipal Airport improvement paperwork was turned over to city officials." -- Tribune photo
Mrs. Sylvia Farmer and Mrs. Mildred Burns entertained with dinner Sunday night Sunday night at the Farmer home celebrating the 50th anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Steeley.
The Blue Mound Methodist Church will mark the 75th anniversary of the building of the present church on Nov. 25. However, the church was established in 1879. That was on July 14 with the first official meeting of the church organization called by W.T. White. The cornerstone of the present building was laid Oct. 4, 1887.
The Red Barn Restaurant, from 12 noon to 5 p.m. Thanksgiving Day serving turkey and all the trimmings.
Clair L. Morrison, specialist fourth class with the National Guard unit here, was selected the outstanding soldier from his company and was awarded a weekend excursion to New Orleans. Morrison is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Morrison.
25 YEARS AGO
In Fort Scott there are probably few issues that have, in recent years, been the subject of as much discussion as what to do about the city's brick streets.
At last, someone has a plan. The Historic Preservation Association of Bourbon County presented the City Planning Commission with a proposal to save the best, and most historically important of the brick streets, using bricks "harvested" from others. Specific recommendations will, and should, be debated. Deciding which streets to save and which to "harvest." Surely Fort Scott's character must be high on the list.