[Masthead] Mostly Cloudy ~ 60°F  
High: 63°F ~ Low: 43°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Labor Day weekend provides more family fun

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Continuing on with our Labor Day weekend at Susie and Mike's cottage, people continued to arrive, and by the time we headed for bed in the bedroom I slept in was Doris, me, my great-grandson Tyler (3 years old) and his sister Olivia, who is 7. I woke up during the night hearing Tyler wanting his dad. I told him I thought he and his mom were out in the living room on the two couches. He proceeded to go out looking for them (carrying his blankie) and came back in and announced that they weren't out there.

By deduction I decided they must have gone down in the basement as there were a couple of pull-out couches down there. Tyler started down the stairs dragging his blankie, as I followed. I was afraid I would trip over it and find myself at the bottom of the stairs in a heap, so I asked him to please hold it up so I wouldn't trip over it. He very reluctantly wadded it up and carried it.

He got downstairs before I did and proceeded to run back up the stairs, I asked him what was the matter and he said they weren't down there. So I went downstairs and there they were snoozing away. I took him back down again and walked him over to the couch and he jumped right in.

So far, so good. I woke up the next morning and decided I had better make a potty trip to the bathroom before anyone else was up. I hadn't anymore than gotten in there and three people had arrived in the bathroom too, one adult and two kids. I swear again it was like Grand Central Station. Did I say at 6 a.m. that I thought I would be the only one up? Was I kiddin'? Everyone and his dog was up and wandering around. Maybe they never went to bed. There was no privacy to be had, but I finally did have the bathroom for a few minutes and hastily got dressed.

People were mingling around out in the kitchen and the guys were actually fixing breakfast. Before I knew it, there was a plate in front of me with two fried eggs, bacon and toast. I wolfed it down before someone else grabbed it. Someone kept the coffee pot going, and it never tasted so good.

It looked for all the world like it was going to be a great day. The guys were making plans to go out to the hunting shack and work on it. It was not quite finished and they decided that while there was so much manpower, they better take advantage of it. It is about a 45-minute drive from the cottage. They finally got loaded and took off.

Granddaughter in law Tamara said she needed some help. Her problem? When she was in high school she had had her ears pierced, maybe four in each ear. And one of the earrings had never been out of her ear in all these years. Why? Simple, she said she couldn't get the earring post out of her ear! She said maybe it was rusted after all these years. So she asked one of the granddaughters if maybe they could help her get it out. Kaitlynn, who is 15, said sure she could do it.

I think she used some tweezers or something and tried and tried and tried, but to no avail. Then daughter Susie said well maybe they needed some tin snips; heaven help us. I could just imagine her snipping and missing and cutting part of her ear off. But who was I to say anything, I was just an ole grandma.

Susie went next door to their neighbors and sure 'nuff came back with a small pair of tin snippers. Kaitlynn picked them up and just like she had been doing this sort of thing all of her born days, put it up to Tamara's ear, and snip the ball popped off. Just like she knew what she was doing. Well ... the day had hardly begun, and I thought I just might have a nervous break down.

Marilyn Miller
The Old Grey Mare