[Masthead] Overcast ~ 52°F  
High: 69°F ~ Low: 48°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

'Hound men win in overtime

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fort Scott's Derrick Thomas, seen here in Wednesday night's game versus Cowley was one of five Greyhounds who reached double digits in scoring in an 80-75 overtime victory over Allen at Arnold Arena Saturday afternoon.
(Kenny Felt/Special to the Tribune)
Fort Scott Community College's men broke a 7-game losing streak Saturday afternoon with an 80-75 victory over Allen at Arnold Arena in Jayhawk Conference-Eastern Division play.

The Greyhounds (1-1 East, 2-12 overall) hadn't won since beating the Arkansas Tech junior varsity on November 12 at Coffeyville.

Sophomore Julian Mills scored eight points in the extra session, including key free throws with 17 seconds to go. He led the Greyhounds with 26 points as he connected on 8 of 11 shots from the field and all 8 of his free throws.

"To see Julian mature as a shooter," Fort Scott head coach Michael Cook said. "People want to drop off him (on defense) because he's so quick. So if he pops the 3-pointer, they have to come out on him and then he drives."

The 'Hounds had four others reach double figures as Austin Danner scored 15 points, Maurice Fields 11 and Derrick Thomas and Tony McGilveary had 10 each. They were still without Teance Walton, who was injured before Wednesday's game against Cowley.

"We played nine guys and we have Teance coming back (this) week," Cook said. "Great things are ahead."

Both teams reversed trends in the second half -- Allen in the negative sense. The Red Devils (0-2, 6-8) held a 31-14 lead with 6:33 left in the first half after a 13-0 run and was up 40-29 at the half. Allen was shooting over 50 percent from the field while the 'Hounds were at 32 percent.

In the second half and overtime, Fort Scott made 16 of 27 field-goal attempts (59 percent) while Allen made just 11 of 30 (37 percent).

Fort Scott started with a 9-0 run capped by consecutive McGilveary baskets that closed the deficit to 40-38 with 15:26 left in regulation.

Allen pushed the lead back up to 58-46 with 7:42 to go. Fort Scott began to rally, starting things by making 3 consecutive 3-point shots to get within 3 with 6:19 remaining.

Mills drove in, broke down the defense and double-pumped for a layup to tie the score 59-59 with 4:43 to go. This was the first of four ties through the end of regulation.

Fields gave Fort Scott a 68-66 lead with 40 seconds to left when he converted Mills' steal. Allen's Drelan Tripplett tied the score with 35 seconds left. Teammate Canon Fields blocked a shot and collected the rebound with 12.3 second left. But M.Fields drew a charge on C.Fields with 6.7 seconds to go to give the 'Hounds possession.

"I thought Mo Fields played great for having a year and a half off," Cook said of the sophomore playing just his second game of the season. "He had some nerves. Then he hurt his pinkie. But he gave us an inside presence. It will help us when we go to Johnson County and KCK (this week)."

The 'Hounds turned the ball over at mid court with one-tenth of a second to go.

Mills hit a wide-open 16-foot shot from the right wing to begin the overtime session. Allen's Terrell Shears tied it for the last time with a layup with 4:22 left.

Mills made two free throws with 3:22 left and Desean Miles made one of two with 3:11 to go. Tripplett scored a tip-in to bring the Devils within 73-72 with 2:45 left.

Mills hit a jump shot with 2:12 left and M.Fields made one of two charity tosses with 1:16 remaining. Shears hit a 3-point shot from the top of the arc with 57 seconds left to bring Allen within 76-75.

Miles missed two free throws with 51 seconds left but the Devils threw the ball out of bounds with 31 seconds to go. They fouled Mills, who made both free throws with 17 seconds left to make it 78-75.

Rickey Hollis tried to tie it with 4.8 seconds left but missed a 3-pointer. Torrell Nickerson was fouled on the rebound and made both free throws.

Fort Scott finished 28 of 54 from the field (52 percent) and 17 of 29 at the free-throw line. Allen was 26 of 59 (44 percent) from the floor and 15 of 25 at the line. Shears and C.Fields scored 16 points each for the Devils and Tripplett added 11.

The Greyhounds out-rebounded the Devils 45-37. McGilveary had 12 boards and M.Fields had 10, giving both double-doubles.

Mills also handed out 6 assists and picked up 4 steals.

The Greyhounds look to keep the winning going Wednesday night at Johnson County. They'll be at Kansas City Kansas Saturday afternoon.

NOTES -- Fort Scott's broke an 11-game losing streak against NJCAA Division I competition. The last victory against such teams was on Feb. 19, 2011, against Allen....

Pleasanton's Tyler Myrick played a few minutes for Allen. He did not score....

Wednesday's game will be broadcast in KSEK-FM, 99.1 or at www.991espn.com. Saturday's game will not air and KCK does not have its own webcast....

ALLEN: Myrick 0-0 0-0 0, Anderson 0-2 0-0 0, Romeus 3-6 0-5 7, C.Fields 6-10 202 16, Hollis 2-5 0-0 5, Parker 2-7 4-7 8, Williams 0-3 0-0 0, Walden 2-6 0-0 6, Shears 4-10 6-7 16, Tripplett 5-6 1-2 11, Daniel 2-4 2-2 6. TOTALS: 26-59 15-25 75.

FORT SCOTT: Green 0-1 0-0 0, Miles 2-8 2-5 6, Mills 8-11 8-8 26, McGilveary 5-10 0-0 10, Danner 5-8 2-4 15, M.Fields 4-15 3-10 11, Nickerson 0-2 2-2 2, Thomas 4-9 0-0 10. TOTALS: 28-54 17-29 80.

Halftime: Allen, 40-29. End of regulation: Tied, 68-68.

Three-point field goals: Allen 8-21 (C.Fields 2-3, Shears 2-4, Walden 2-6, Romeus 1-3, Hollis 1-3, Anderson 0-2), Fort Scott 7-19 (Danner 3-7, Mills 2-3, Thomas 2-6, McGilveary 0-1, Miles 0-2).

Rebounds: Allen 37 (Parker 9), Fort Scott 45 (McGilveary 12, M.Fields 10). Assists: Allen 10 (C.Fields 3), Fort Scott 14 (Mills 6). Turnovers: Allen 21, Fort Scott 21. Steals: Allen 13 (Shears 3), Fort Scott 10 (Mills 4). Blocked shots: Allen 5 (5 with 1 each), Fort Scott 2 (McGilveary, M.Fields).

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: