[Masthead] Overcast ~ 72°F  
High: 90°F ~ Low: 64°F
Monday, June 27, 2016

Folder found during cleanup holds auto history

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The other day Bob was cleaning out his desk drawers and was actually parting with some "treasures." He came across a folder that he had put all of the receipts of the cars that we have had over the years. I found them quite interesting and thought you all might enjoy them too.

The first car we had was a '37 Chevy. Bob's folks gave it to us when we got married. It was a four-door, black and quite a handsome car.

When I was growing up, we never had a car. So Bob took it upon himself to teach me how to drive. Back then you didn't have to take an eye test or a written driver's test. You just went down and paid a dollar, and they gave you your driver's license. (Good thing; I probably never would have passed.)

Before I go any further, I must admit that I was a very poor student. After a couple of practice runs he said, "You are on your own."

It wasn't very long before I had had my first "mishap." I was backing out of the garage and caught the handle of the car on something in the garage. Well . . . it didn't do much damage at all, at least I didn't think so, but Bob told me I had better be more careful, or I wouldn't be driving the car much longer.

In fact it wasn't long after that that he told me that I could drive his Cushman scooter to work or anywhere else I might like to go. I thought that was really the cat's meow. At the time I was working at the Standard Advertising Co. down on Scott Avenue. But I finally started driving the car again.

About this time Bob got a job with the Manor Bread Company out of Kansas City, so we moved up to Louisburg. The sad part is that he was given a rural route out of Louisburg. Needless to say, he didn't make nearly as many sales as he had hoped. Those country gals did all of their own bread making.

But . . . while we were there, I had my second "mishap" with the '37 Chevy.

Louisburg was quite small and at that time didn't have a grocery store, so I did my grocery shopping at Paola. Paola is, if I remember, give or take about l0 miles from Louisburg.

Early one morning I took off for Paola and hadn't gone more than a couple of miles when the radiator started smoking. I saw a house up ahead, pulled into the driveway and told the people my tale of woe, and they filled up my radiator. This happened four or five times before I finally arrived in Paola. I did my shopping and again stopped numerous times on the way back to Louisburg.

When Bob got home, I told him our car must have really been thirsty, and I told him what happened. He raced out to look at the car. When he came back in he looked very dejected. He said I had cracked the block on the car. Cracked the block! What is a block? I didn't have to ask, as he began to tell me I had probably ruined it forever.

He did know of a fellow who lived in Louisburg who did car repair. Bob called him, and he said he would try and fix it. He was an older feller and said he didn't work too fast, and it would probably take some time before he got it finished. He got that right. It must have been at least three or four months before he said it was ready to pick up.

Sorry to say, it never was the same after that. By this time we had moved back to Fort Scott.

Continued next week.

Marilyn Miller
The Old Grey Mare