[Masthead] Fair ~ 71°F  
High: 80°F ~ Low: 60°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Dragons outrace 'Hounds, 69-36

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fort Scott tailback Martese Jackson (7) outruns Hutchinson defender Duane Sims during the first quarter of action at Frary Field Saturday afternoon. Jackson scored a touchdown later in the period and finished the day with 127 yards. But the visiting Blue Dragons took a 69-36 victory in a game that featured over 1,100 yards of total offense.
(Fort Scott Community College photo/Kathleen Hinrichs)
After a game during which Fort Scott Community College scored 36 points and rolled up 480 yards of total offense, the crowd could only walk out of Frary Field's stadium in silence.

Hutchinson, the nation's 11th-ranked team, quieted the crowd by opening the fourth quarter with three unanswered scores, putting an end to what hope the Greyhounds might have had of a rally and went on to a 69-36 victory.

"You can't dwell on it," Fort Scott head coach Curtis Horton said. "We'll close this game out with film tomorrow."

Hutchinson, 4-1, coming off a bye week, has scored 157 points in its last two games since dropping a baffling 40-7 verdict at Air Force Prep on Sept. 9. The Blue Dragons crushed Highland the following week 90-7. They also defeated Independence 70-0 the week before the AFP debacle.

The game featured four 100-yard rushers and another who gained more than 90, 763 total rushing yards and 1,140 yards in total offense. And three deflected passes that were caught by the quarterback who threw them, all in the first half, two by Hutchinson's Ellott Alford and one by Greyhound QB Matt Bollig.

Fort Scott, 2-4, had rallied within a touchdown early in the second half. Griffin Knopp, a Fort Scott High graduate, hauled in a 65-yard TD strike from Bollig on the final play of the first half to bring the 'Hounds within 28-14.

Hutchinson's first possession of the second half ended when Ladarius Gunter blocked Michael Mesh's 36-yard field-goal attempt. The 'Hounds marched downfield -- 69 yards in 13 plays -- for a 1-yard TD dive by Luke Lundy with 7:42 to go in the half.

On the conversion, the 'Hounds passed from the swinging gate and Bollig found tight end Brannon Green for the 2-pointer, bringing Fort Scott within 28-22.

Cordarrelle Patterson, who seems to be on a mission to prove he is the Jayhawk Conference's most dangerous offensive player, returned the ensuing kickoff 32 yards to the Fort Scott 48. Seven plays later, Patterson leaped over his defender and hauled down a 14-yard TD pass from Alford to put Hutch up two scores. The Dragons attempted a 2-point conversion to match the one the 'Hounds had made but were unsuccessful.

On the first play after a punt, Alford ran a quarterback draw for 43 yards and another score to extend the Blue Dragon lead to 41-22 with 2:13 left in the third quarter.

Lundy scored on a 36-yard run on the next drive to keep Fort Scott's hopes alive with 14 seconds remaining in the third.

But Patterson hauled in a 44-yard pass from Alford with just under two minutes gone in the fourth quarter to make it 48-29. On the Dragons' next drive, Patterson took a reverse 42 yards for the score -- the second time he'd scored that way in this game -- with 10:05 to go. And Deveon Dinwiddie rushed in from 3 yards out with 6:14 remaining to make it a 62-29 lead.

Lundy scored once more on a 79-yard run with 5:57 to go. Hutch reserve running back LaQua Mayes scored from 14 yards out with 1:38 to go.

Hutchinson finished with 660 yards of total offense, rushing for 427 of those. Patterson's two reverses were his only carries but totaled 108 yards. He also caught 4 passes for 84 yards.

Dinwiddie led Dragon rushers with 135 yards on 20 carries and Derek Campbell added 93 on 9 rushes. Alford completed 13 of 18 passes for 216 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Fort Scott rushed for 336 yards. Lundy finished with 164 rushing yards on 18 carries while Martese Jackson, the conference's leading rusher, added 142 yards on 27 totes. Bollig completed 8 of 18 passes for 144 yards. Green caught 3 of them for 52 yards.

Jackson scored the game's first touchdown as the Greyhound defense came out ready to go. The defense held Hutch to minus-3 yards on its first two possessions. On the second, the defense forced the Dragons back to their own 2-yard line before they punted to Jonathan Wright, who brought the kick back to the Hutch 23. Two plays later, Jackson scored on a 1-yard run to put Fort Scott up 7-0 with 8:51 to go in the first quarter.

The Dragons responded with four consecutive scores, the first coming on their next possession. Alford hit a wide-open Jatavius Stewart for a 49-yard game-tying strike. Dinwiddie broke the tie with a 6-yard run with 2:15 left.

Patterson opened second-quarter scoring by scoring from 66 yards out on his first reverse. This was the fourth way Patterson scored a touchdown in his junior college career as he had already scored on receptions, punt returns and kickoff returns.

Campbell's 67-yard run with 7:14 left in the half boosted the Dragons' lead to 28-7.

The game did not count in Jayhawk Conference standings due to Fort Scott's probationary status.

Fort Scott will have this week off -- the first of two byes in the next three weeks -- before returning to the field at Dodge City Oct. 15.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: