[Masthead] Rain Fog/Mist ~ 59°F  
High: 73°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

'Hounds thump Hutch in Homecoming game

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Hutchinson Blue Dragons were even bluer when they left Frary Field after the Fort Scott Community College whapped the previously undefeated team for a 31-7Homecoming victory in the fourth of their 1970 National Championship season.

The Greyhounds, 4-0 at this point, played another game of superb defense as what was billed to be a tough contest between two nationally-ranked jucos turned out to be a rout. Hutch was third ranked and FSCC was seventh.

The Greyhounds defenders limited Hutch to an incredible minus-7 yards rushing. They also sacked the quarterback 9 times

"I just can't express the greatness of our defense Saturday," Fort Scott head coach Dick Foster said.

Hutch led the game 7-3 after the first quarter. But the 'Hounds scored 28 unanswered points to make the rout official and send Frary Field fans home with smiles on their faces.

After the Hutch score with 8:13 left in the first, the Greyhounds' defense slammed the door shut. From then on it, was Fort Scott which made the big plays.

Fort Scott's first score came by way of the foot of kicker Steve Hall, who booted a 42-yard field goal that hit the cross bar and bounced through. This score was set up by the running of Tommy Reamon who had 38 yards on 4 carries. This made it 7-3 Hutch after one period.

The Greyhounds took the lead for good when quarterback Kurt Neiman dove in from 1 yard out with 1:40 left in the half.

The biggest play of the game came on Hutch's next drive. On second down at their own 28-yard line, Hutch's quarterback was plastered by defensive tackle Mitch Sutton and linebacker John Johnson, forcing a fumble. The ball went bouncing away and went into the end zone where defensive tackle Gary Lindsay fell on it for the score. It was Fort Scott 17 Hutch 7 at the half.

"That fumble was the real turning point of the game," said Foster. "That play was the one that broke their backs".

After the crowning of Connie Meek as the 1970 FSCC homecoming queen, the Greyhounds came out of the locker room determined to put the Dragons away for good and not allow them back into the game no matter what.

The second half was all Fort Scott defense and a pair of rushing touchdowns for the 'Hounds; one by Reamon and the fullback Don Johnson.

Reamon, a 5-10 190 pound freshman from Newport News (VA), led the Greyhound rushing attack with 197 yards on 31 carries.

Fort Scott's offense had 384 total yards to the Blue Dragons 80 yards total.

Next week the 'Hounds will get their second big test when they travel to Pratt, Kansas to take on the Beavers on their college's homecoming weekend. Pratt has only lost one game that was to Garden City, another bruiser which Fort Scott has yet to play.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: