PITTSBURG -- Fort Scott High School's tennis team split a 12-match dual with Pittsburg here Tuesday with five victories coming in singles.
This was an extra meet placed into the schedule as the girls were not scheduled to play again until Tuesday after opening the season with a home tournament back on Aug. 24.
"This was a good opportunity for most of our JV girls to play both singles and doubles in one day," Fort Scott head coach Lynn Barr said. "Several players showed improvement since the opening JV match just over a week ago. Hopefully, they will all continue to learn from these matches and improve as the season progresses.
"Our singles play was pretty good taking five of eight in singles, but we needed to do a little better in doubles, although three of the losses were close, 4-6. All the girls gave a nice effort, we just have to keep working to get better."
Singles play went like this:
* Sammi Carr fell in No. 1 singles to Pittsburg's Ericka Springer, 6-2.
* Bailee Hall beat Megan Reed, 6-2, in No. 2's.
* Ashley Allen got by Cacee Sinclair in a tie-breaker 6-5 (1) in the No. 3 slot.
* Corina Harrison beat Jessica Curlee, 6-3, in No. 4's.
* Krista Hightower downed Nicole Handshy, 6-3, in No. 5 action.
* Aubin Duff beat Asia Davis, 6-1, in the No. 6 slot.
* Tamitha Lambert lost to Sylvia Shultze in the No. 7 position.
* Kelsie How lost to Ashley Finkbeiner, 6-0, in the No. 8 slot.
* Allen and Harrison lost to Springer and Sinclair, 6-4, in No. 1 doubles.
* Carr and Hall defeated Reed and Curlee, 6-4, in No. 2's.
* Hightower and Duff lost to Handshy and September Perkins, 6-4, in No. 3's.
* Lambert and Tiffany Thorne lost to Finkbriner and Davis, 6-1, in the No. 4 position.
The Tigers will go to Parsons Tuesday for Labette County High School's JV tournament. Play begins at 3 p.m.